What are risk events?
- Sex (vaginal, oral or anal) with multiple partners
- Sex with someone who is HIV positive or whose status you don’t know
- Sex between a man and another man
- Using illegal injected drugs or steroids
- Shared needles or syringes
- Exchanged sex for money
- A diagnosis or treatment for hepatitis, tuberculosis or a sexually transmitted disease like syphilis
How can I protect myself and prevent the spread of HIV?
By using a condom correctly every time you have sex, and by encouraging your sexual partners to do the same, you will help stop the spread of HIV. It’s also important to be tested and to know your HIV status, so you can inform your sexual partners and take steps to avoid contracting or passing on the virus.